Dr. Kraska provides intelligence testing for children entering Pre-Kindergarten through 4th grade for Charlotte Areas Independent Schools (CAIS). Children must be 4yrs old by the time of testing in order to be eligible for testing.
Two intelligence tests are used based on the child’s age. The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence, Fourth Edition (WPPSI-IV) is used for students entering Pre-K through 1st grade. The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, Fifth Edition (WISC-V) is used for students entering 2nd through 4th grade. Both tests are administered on an iPad and involve a variety of testing procedures including blocks, visual puzzles, memorization, animals, numbers, vocabulary, and drawing. Each of these methods measure the child’s ability to verbalize meaningful concepts (Verbal Comprehension), recognize concepts and relationships among visual objects (Visual Spatial Reasoning), complex problem solving skills of novel situations (Fluid Reasoning), their ability to register and manipulate auditory and/or visual information (Working Memory), and their ability to mentally process and reproduce information without making errors (Processing Speed).
We charge a testing fee of $275 for the WPPSI-IV and $275 for the WISC-V, due at the time of testing. After testing is complete, the client’s registration form, signed agreement, observations form from testing, a summary letter to parents, and the testing results are compiled and sent to parents and the schools to which you are applying.
To make an appointment or inquire about availability, please call our office at (704) 464-4910.
The following schools are a part of Charlotte Area Independent Schools (CAIS):
- Charlotte Christian
- Charlotte Country Day
- Charlotte Latin School
- Charlotte Preparatory School
- Providence Day School
- Trinity Episcopal School
- Covenant Day School
To apply for testing, CAIS requires that you adhere to the following procedure:
- Complete an application to the school(s) to which you are applying for admission. No school will consider an evaluation until an application for admission to that particular school has been received.
- All appointments for testing are made by the parents with an individual psychologist – not by the schools. Testing of applicants begins on October 1st.
- Since your child will be compared to other children with the same chronological age, late testing provides no advantage.
- Psychologists will not make appointments until after Labor Day. Contact the psychologist of your choice from our team members to schedule the appointment. Appointments may be made by phone only. Please schedule with only one psychologist. Registration form and payment must be received within one week from the call to confirm your appointment. If your payment is not received within one week, your appointment will be canceled.
- To ensure test reliability and validity, children must be at least four years of age at the time of testing and the assessment can be administered only once in a twelve month period.
- Psychologists will report to the schools any indication that a child has been coached, tutored, or re-tested. Any indication of the aforementioned will invalidate your application to any CAIS school.
- Upon completion of the evaluation, test results that are limited to percentile ranges are sent to the parents and to the designated schools. A more detailed interpretation of the results may be obtained by scheduling a feedback meeting with the psychologist. This is optional for each family and will be billed to you at the psychologist’s hourly rate. To secure your feedback appointment, payment is due prior to the appointment date.
- In addition to the assessment, CAIS schools require an interview with each child. The respective schools will contact you to make an appointment for the interview/observation sessions that are typically held November-February.
- General information concerning the results of your child’s evaluation will be mailed to you in writing. The results of the evaluation will also be sent to the participating school(s) of your choice.
What clients are saying
“Dr. Chad Kraska has been instrumental in our family dynamic through counseling as well as educational and psychological assessments since 2014. Not only have two of our children (teen and preteen) benefited, but we have gained great insight for understanding our children’s strengths and struggles in navigating the increasingly complex day to day responsibilities of growing up and discerning life’s challenges. We wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Kraska and his team and will be forever grateful for all they have done for us.”
“Dr. Kraska is such a phenomenal psychologist! I’ve been seeing him for over two years now and he’s been a true lifeline to making progress in my life. He not only is the one who diagnosed me as being on the Autism Spectrum, but he helped me through figuring out how to be my most authentic self when around other people. If it weren’t for his consistent guidance and ease of conversation, I would still be spending all my time struggling to understand myself. My life is permanently improved due to the expertise and talent Kraska has in talking to people on the Spectrum.”
“Chad Kraska is a phenomenal resource with incredible expertise in so many areas and most specifically girls on the Autism Spectrum. So many girls go undiagnosed and Dr. Kraska is very well-versed and perceptive of the differences that present with these girls. He was the first to suggest ASD for our high-functioning daughter. His insight into my precious girl was the flagpole moment that saved our daughter and our family. I recommend Dr. Kraska to all of my clients for educational testing as well as suspected ASD in our high-functioning girls.”
“Dr. Kraska is everything you would want in a Child Psychologist. We have been more than pleased with him. I recommend him to all my friends and family. He is great at what he does and an asset in our lives.”
“Dr. Kraska is an excellent communicator and attentive to detail. He provides thorough diagnostic evaluations and individualized recommendations to help set his clients up for success.”
“I know Chad to be a person of integrity. He is well trained, experienced and does excellent work. I look forward to referring him clients whenever the need arises.”
“Chad has been a friend and colleague for several years and as such, I had the privilege to watch him work. He was a great resource for me for many things but especially questions related to testing, children and adolescents. While he is very intelligent, he is also very easy to relate to. Simply put, he is an all around excellent therapist.”
Thank you to Amy, Sarah and Stephanie for making my experience here very comfortable in a chaotic time of my life. If you are on the fence about working with this team or their services, I believe it is worth every penny for the clarity and insight they will provide.